Food habits are changing and it has led to many health issues. One such problem which is caused because of eating contaminated food is Food poisoning. Food can be polluted at any stage like during harvesting, growing, processing or even during storage.
Bacteria and germ adulterate food and can cause food poisoning. Toxins of such organisms contaminate food and it is possible while cooking or even if cooked food is not stored properly. There is some food which already has the presence of some organisms but they are destroyed during the cooking process.
So, unhygienic and improper storage of food items can also lead to food poisoning. Mostly food poisoning can be resolved within hours or days and does not require any medical treatment. It is not very dangerous but in some unfavorable condition, it can cause serious health issues.
Food Poisoning Causes:
The main reason for food poisoning is the intake of contaminated food or water. Bacteria, virus or any other germs release their toxins or even transfer it to your food through any other contaminated sources.
• Rotavirus is one of the reasons for food poisoning among children. While Norovirus is the main cause that adults suffer from gastroenteritis. People who are having a weak immune system are even affected by cytomegalovirus.
• Some of the most common batter which can cause food poisoning are Salmonella, Shigella, Campylobacter, Clostridium difficile and Escherichia coli. These bacteria release their toxins which can make food adulterate. Undercooked food like meat, fish, custard, poultry can also cause a bacterial gastrointestinal disorder.
• If hygiene like washing hands before cooking or storing food properly is not maintained, it could also lead to food poisoning.
Symptoms of Food Poisoning:
The most common symptoms of food poisoning are vomiting, nausea, diarrhea and abdominal cramps. You can even suffer from fever and headache if food is contaminated by bacteria. There are many other such non-toxic causes of food poisoning which can even affect the nervous system.
Dehydration is one of the symptoms of food poisoning as the body loses water and other important electrolytes from the body. It is even possible that food poisoning can even effect kidneys and lead to many severe diseases like paralysis or arthritis.
Symptoms of food poisoning mainly depend on germs that contaminated your food. You can experience the symptoms of food poisoning within hours after you consume food and in some adverse condition, it can last for weeks.
Treatment to cure Food Poisoning:
• In most cases, food poisoning is cured without going for any medical treatment. If you are suffering from diarrhea just consuming fluids and other energy drinks can make you hydrated. Fluids which has the right balance of salt, water, and sugar can help to stay energetic even after diarrhea and vomiting.
• It is very important to stay away from solid food while suffering from food poisoning. Once you feel better to start with plain food which is easy to digest as gastroenteritis also affect the digestive system.
• Poisoning caused due to non-toxic elements such as mushroom and other pesticides is diagnosed by stomach pumping. It is a technique where doctors insert a tube from mouth to the stomach along with liquids to clean it. This is done in a condition where antibiotics and other treatment are not effective.
• There are some bacteria which require antibiotics to cure infection while some others can be cured within two or three days. In many cases, if the condition is severe there is need to consult a physician immediately as it can harm other body parts and lead to serious problem.
So, while preparing food maintain hygiene and cook food properly. Cover the cooked food to make it safe from germs. If suffering from food poisoning