Fruits bring health, colour, and happiness to our palates and lives. We almost invariably give preference to seasonal fruits like orange in winter and mango in summer. Apple is popularly known as the fruit that keeps doctors away and therefore is adored by one and all. There is another fruit- much more humble and tastier than most fruits available in the market- the often ignored banana. It won’t be an exaggeration to call it a superfood. A medium sized banana (100g) contains 116 kcal of energy and 1.2 grams of protein. In addition to these macronutrients, a banana is a good source of potassium and vitamin B6. It also contains calcium, tryptophan and iron which are beneficial for your health. Today we shall discuss all the health benefits of banana.
- A banana is good for heart’s health as it contains lots of potassium. Potassium is one of the most important minerals for heart as it helps regulate the movement of heart muscle. In addition, potassium helps balance the increase of sodium level in our body due to consumption of excessive junk food. This sodium-potassium balance is extremely important for our health. The potassium content of banana helps in regulating blood pressure. So for your heart’s health you should always consider including banana in your diet.
- Bananas contain good amount of fibre. This fibre is good for gut health. This fibre or resistant starch helps controlling blood sugar level and enhance short-chain fatty acid production. These short chain fatty acids are important for maintaining gut health. So if you have constipation and/or digestion related problem, include a banana in your Daily Diet Plan.
- A problem of mood swings can be solved by eating a banana. It contains tryptophan- an essential amino acid which influences the production of serotonin. This neurotransmitter is essential for elevating your mood. So, menopausal women and pregnant mothers, who often suffer from severe mood swings, can eat a banana. It will definitely help your mood to get better. Also, for pregnant mothers, pregnancy diet chart is recommended.
- Bananas are very effective for those who want to increase their muscle. As has been told earlier that a banana is a good source of potassium and contains high energy, both of which are required for muscle growth. During exercise, muscles require potassium for proper movement and the body requires extra energy, and a banana would supply both. So one can eat a banana before exercise for effective muscle movement and muscle growth.
- Bananas may be helpful to treat a sleeping problem, as they contain tryptophan which is a precursor to serotonin. This chemical is essential for sound sleep. At the same time it contains vitamin B6 and magnesium, both of which are required for good sleep. Vitamin B6 helps in relieving you of your daily anxiety and magnesium relaxes muscles, which are essential for good sleep. So if you have any sleep-related issue, try to eat a banana, instead of popping sleeping pills.
- Banana is good for people with anemia. It contains iron which is an essential element for blood cell formation. It also contains copper which is essential for blood cells. So consumption of banana helps in improving blood level and also in reducing anemia.
- Banana has anti-inflammatory property. Inflammation is associated with several diseases like arthritis, gout and free radical damages. So banana is effective for those diseases which are directly associated with inflammation. If you have arthritis-related problems, you can choose to have banana in your diet.
- Bananas are considered antacids because they help reduce acid secretion. Excess and uncontrolled acid production are associated with ulcer formation in stomach. So, if you have a tendency for indigestion, gas and blotting related problems, you can eat banana daily.
How to incorporate banana in your daily diet:
- Add banana slices in your breakfast cereals. If anyone has a habit of engaging in regular physical exercise then she must eat banana before exercise.
- For children- make banana smoothie with milk and dry fruits. This type of smoothie is helpful for weight gain as well. Adults can also drink this.
- If you have a craving for ice-cream, then you can prepare a homemade healthy ice-cream using banana, milk, raisins, and almond, and thereby satisfy your sweet cravings in a healthy way.
- You can use banana for making healthy and tasty pancakes.
- You can include banana in your fruit salad plate.
After knowing the benefits, surely you are excited about getting a banana in your hand. But you must also keep in mind that excess consumption of any food, even the healthy ones, isn’t good for your health. So control your portion size. If you have a structured weight loss diet plan then eating too many bananas will be detrimental for you. The best thing for your health is to eat one banana every day.